Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Breath of spring? Long hard winter.

If anyone would have told me 31 years ago I would miss it I would have told them they were nuts.

Just about every time we went to Arkansas we stayed with Ray's daddy. Wain was a talker and had an amazing memory. He was the best story teller and had a story for every occasion. I didn't alway understand my father-in-law. He had a different kind of humor.
Every morning that we woke in his house over these years he greeted me with the same smile and said "Good morning sunshine. You look like the breath of spring." Now if he ended there I would have felt live down to my toes. But no, there was more. Then he would add," Well really you look like the end of a long hard winter."

Now as a child of 18 to hear your FIL say that to you it kind of trips you up. Kind of gets you right in your low self esteem.
My FIL said that to me for the last time last week. We were there and the first morning we woke he smiled and said it. I laughed with him and truly was glad to hear it. Then I said to him. You know Wain one day I'm gonna miss hearing you say that to me.
That was the last time. The next morning he was in distress and never came out. Wain passed away last night at 8:30 pm.
Why is it just when you start to understand some people and how and why they tick the time is up?

Diane

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Diane, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I understand where you are coming from. We lost my hubby's Mom this past April. She was a very strong woman, and the matriarch of the family. I never thought it would be so hard to see her go, but I do miss her terribly. She was the glue that held the family together. We were not particularly close, but she loved her family and had such a huge heart for hospitality. It's going to be a rough year without her around.

Anonymous said...

The fact is, Diane, you've grown and matured from that 18-year old and realized that each person has his own way of living and laughing. That's why as we grow older we find that we can laugh at things we couldn't Year's ago and just let other things slide off,our backs.

I'm sorry for your and Ray's loss but remember those times that made you smile.
Linda G