Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Lord is good

The last visit we had in Arkansas with Ray's dad was the last we will ever have with him, here on earth. Just one day after we arrived home from seeing him we got the call he probably wouldn't make it through the night. As hard as it was, there was just no way to get Ray back to his dad. No flights in time and not enough hours left to drive it again.
Ray was ok with that. Well as ok as he could be. He had a great last visit with his dad. They got to spend time talking and remembering good times. Wain was never a demonstrative person, but he shared that he respected Ray and the man he has become. What more can a son want than the love and respect of their father? Maybe some more time. So Ray is glad he got to spend his father's last week of life with him.
While we were there I got to see and hear such beautiful moments. A son helping his ailing father get ready for bed. The father pat the son's arm and say, Ray, I sure am glad your here. A father and son embrace both saying they love each other and always will.
The Lord is good.






My FIL had many varied interest. Just one was needlework. He quilted, crocheted, cross stitched, needlepoint and more. Years ago he made all of his children an afghan for Christmas. A few months ago on one of our visits he said he had a large stack of afghans and he wanted each of his grand daughters to have one. Since I was there I went ahead and picked my daughter's but decided to put it away until he gave the rest of the girls theirs. He has five grandsons and I didn't want them to feel left out so I asked his wife if I could take a few of his shirts to make some small quilts for the boys. Now I am going through all of my quilt books looking for ideas and patterns.

He was also an avid Honda motorcycle rider until he was in his late 60's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful memories for you and Ray.
Linda G