Thursday, August 30, 2007

Getting ready for Houston

I just found out my booth assignment for the International Quilt Festival in Houston, Texas. I will be in #1707 this year. I have a bad memory so I don't know if this is my third or fourth year, but I have always been happy with my booth assignment. Honestly I don't know if there is such a thing as a bad booth number.

When the booth numbers are announced that means it is crunch time. I have to buckle down and get my fabric designs made. For the next 3 weeks I will finish up dyeing fabric and then spend every free moment ironing and folding. I usually take the last week checking my packing list and making sure I have everything I could possibly need while I am away from home for close to two weeks. I have a couple of new pattern/kit ideas I need to hammer out in the next day or two. I have two samples I need to finish. Whew, I'm getting tired just typing this.

I love the Houston show. I was born and raised there so I am comfortable driving the streets. My family still lives in Houston and I have great support from them. My mother in law has always basically became my personal assistant. She provided me a place to stay and fed me and did laundry and ironed fabric ( because I always have more fabric to be ironed) helped build my booth, in other words she takes good care of me. My sister in law and niece both help with ironing and working in my booth. Paula (SIL) is always willing to make samples and has made most of them, some even overnight. My friend Linda is my right arm. She goes with me each day to work the booth, she helps build the booth, and break it down. She helps unload and then reload my truck. Believe me if I had to pay any of these women I could not afford them. They go above and beyond the call of family and friendship, but God knows I love them and appreciate them.

Ok, I have to get busy so I can make those proud who work so hard to help me.

Later,
Diane

1 comment:

swooze said...

I would think it was fun to work at a quilt booth. I know it is a lot of work. I hope you have a great show!