Saturday, November 10, 2007

Absent from the body, present with the Lord

A friend of my youth has died. I am terribly sad and just want to lay in bed and cry.
James was a friend when I felt so alone. He defended me when I was being abused. He showed me how someone should be treated. He proved "guys" could be trusted. James was the one who introduced me to my future husband. He married just a few months before I did and his wife and I were even expecting our first children at the same time. He mourned with me through my losses and helped me get my mind straight when I felt I was losing it.

Now all I have is memories, but I am happy I have them. I do remember his smile and infectious laugh. He had a wonderful singing voice, and led the worship music in his church for years. He loved to play softball. My husband and James were on teams together when we all were younger. As a matter of fact, I was almost stood up at the alter due to a championship ballgame on my wedding day. Everyone was playing ball and I was sitting at the church waiting for the groom, the groomsmen, even the pastor to show up as they all were playing that day. They all arrived with minutes to spare and everyone has had great laughs ever since remembering James still hot and sweaty at the wedding as he had just enough time to rush home shower and run back, but no time to cool off. Ray my husband was wearing a white tux and oh so handsome, but in a couple of pictures you could see his "lucky" socks (one gold band sock and one green band sock) showing through his pants. The Pastor (James' father) was still wiping sweat and all smiles as they had won!

I am not able to attend James' funeral and that makes me very sad, but honestly I am ok with it. I have to be here remembering him and reflecting. I love his parents so much and would love to see his wife and brother and sister, but will have to send them all a letter instead.

Diane

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I will be praying fo you in this sad time.