Sunday, November 18, 2007

I finished! Now I can have a Thankgiving!

I got the bag finished, well almost. I have to put a stiff bottom in it and whip stitch the turning hole closed and it is done. If my SIL was into cute I would like to see it with some beads and fancy threads on it, but as she isn't and I want her to actually use the thing I will leave it naked. I will post a picture later after I finish whipping it. :^)

I am so excited, I get to go to Houston! I know, I know I just got back from there, but this is for fun. I was born in Houston and all of my family is still there. I get to leave on Tuesday evening after my oldest son gets off work and we get to stay until Sunday! I am so excited! We are staying at the SIL's house that is having the baby. This will be the first time to stay with them. Usually we stay at my MIL's house but now that her house has become a 2 family home, if we tried to stay there we would have to be hung on hooks in the garage, excuse me I was told that was now the pantry/storage room. LOL

Our Thanksgiving is a real fun time. We all get together on Wednesday and and start preparing veggies and stuff. All the time we are singing and laughing and playing games and watching videos and EATING! I promise these are some of the best cooks in the world! Believe me, you don't get to be the size we are with bad cooking! Late Wednesday night we all go to bed and Grandma (my MIL) is up and down all night checking on the turkey. Then she is up before dawn making pies, glorious pies! You have never seen the likes! She makes everything from scratch. We have coconut pie with and without the coconut ( I like the pudding but not the coconut so I get a special one) chocolate, pecan, cherry, lemon icebox, key lime and many more. My MIL is so great, she always has made something special for each person in the family. Even if no one else in the family loves it if you do she will make it. My favorite is what she calls fried corn. I don't know much of what she does to it, but I do know she buys fresh corn and cuts it off the cob and cooks in a big black iron skillet. YUM!
My SIL, Paula is a wonderful cook also. She can make dirt taste good, not that she has ever cooked dirt, but you know what I mean. She makes this wonderful eggplant dish that I crave all year long. My other SIL is the onion cutter in the family. I am sure she can cook very well, but I am not sure if I have ever eaten her cooking as we always eat Grandma's cooking at Grandma's house. Anyway Judy comes over early Wednesday morning and cuts all the onions and celery. That may not sound like a big job, but let me tell you it is. She probably cuts 10 cups of each one.

The men of course all sit around a talk and laugh and catch up since the last visit, which in some cases has been since last year. It is hard when you live 3 states away.

Can you tell I am excited??

Off to the movies...I want to see Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium.

Later,
Diane

1 comment:

Paula said...

Yipee! Hey, I'm not pregnant, but can I have a bag too???? PLEASE!!!! Drive carefully!