Saturday, November 17, 2007

Making a diaper bag is nothing like a quilt!

I am trying to sew my SIL a diaper bag. I don't usually make bags or clothing because I am not an instruction reader. For the most part I can look at a quilt and I know how to make it without having to look at the instructions. I usually only use the pattern for yardage and the number of blocks to make. Making this bag is totally out of my comfort zone! I was going along pretty well and just about to say I might have been wrong about making this bag then I made the discovery. I had been so careful to make all of my stitches perfect and straight. I back tacked at the pockets and handles. When I turned the last page off of preparation and on to sewing I turned TWO pages! I missed a whole section! Now to anyone else they would have said , huh, this doesn't look right and went back to find the problem, but not me, I just started sewing. UGH!
Now that I have ripped all the wrong seams, I am back to where I was 4 hours ago. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Have you ever used Misty Fuse? It is a fusible web that doesn't have the paper backing. I have been using this on the diaper bag and I think I like it. It is is nice and soft after fusing, not stiff like all the other fusible webs I have tried in the past. I can't wait to try it on applique.

I really want to get this bag finished so I can start on some gifts for my nieces and nephews. I decided this year I was going to make each one a pillowcase. I will shop my stash and see how many I can get made from there. Believe me I should be able to make more than enough. I love my stash!

Ok, so I have rambled long enough, I guess it is time to get back to work.

Later,
Diane

1 comment:

Paula said...

Poor Dina, I'm so sorry. That's so frustrating!! You'll get it though, and EVERYTHING you do is perfection! I'd like to try some Misty Fuse....hmmm, when will I have an opportunity??? Hugs!