Friday, May 2, 2008

May Day was Dye Day

I had a play day/workshop Thursday. It was so much fun! Two ladies who I have come to love dearly wanted to play in the dyes and asked if I could pop over and show them a few things I have learned over the years.
One of the things we did was play with dyes and shaving cream. Kind of like marbling fabrics.
The ladies both are very artistic and have way more creativity in their little fingers than I have in my whole body.


We laid shaving cream down, then put the dyes where we wanted them. After the dye is placed just so you lay your fabric on top and very lightly pat the fabric to make sure it comes in contact with the dyes. Normally this is not a big deal but it was very windy and it was drying the cream faster than we could finish, so we had to squirt it a bit with a water bottle.


I made these for shop samples. The one above was made from charm squares. It was so fun and very fast. If you need a quick throw or a baby or toddler quilt this is your answer. I made this top in about 3 hours.



Don't you just love Bow Tie quilts? I do. Not only are they cute they are pretty fast to make. You can do so much with them. This one is simple diagonal rows, but you can make them in X's and O's, or just O's.
So much is going on around here. Only 8 more days of instruction at school for my son and 19 days until graduation.
Fun fun fun!
Diane



1 comment:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Shaving cream and dyeing fabric...sounds like good fun. I hope you will show us the end results :o)