Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Old Sew and Sews

For the past several years (I can't believe how fast time goes!) I have met with friends from my quilt guild in Joyce's home to sew quilts. We began because we wanted to make quilts for the local Linus Quilts group. Over the years we have made quilts not only for Linus, but also for the Ronald McDonald house, the local Methodist Children's home, Quilts of Valor and even made quilts to go on the beds of a local hero soldier who was hurt in the war.
This is a hard working bunch of ladies. We have a lot of fun together and we enjoy each others company. Well yesterday was the day to meet and I knew this was very likely going to be my last chance to meet with them due to the move coming up quickly. Ray and I had already talked a month or so ago and we agreed that I was going to soak up every moment I could with my friends. I get in my truck and bop on over not knowing they had planned a going away lunch. I knew there were people there who were not "regulars", but I am so goofy I didn't think anything about it. I was even given a gift from a former guild president but just thought she was so sweet to think of me the lone Texan in the group while she vacationed in Texas. I honestly have never been accused of being the quick witted person in the group! LOL
Even when Nancy left to go "get something" and we had to play musical cars to let her out, I just thought it must be important because Nancy is one who doesn't like to cause a bother.
DUH!
She went off to buy my favorite kind of food! BAR-B-QUE! Everyone chipped in and treated me to a wonderful lunch and then gave me a bag with civil war reproduction fabrics! Oh and a flying super pig fabric, LOL! I was so surprised!
Then I cried. It finally dawned on me that my normal was once again going to be gone. I was going to have to pull up roots. Roots that if the truth was known I never wanted to begin with. When we moved here I had really never made friends in my previous towns because I was very busy raising my children and being a wife. I still had young kids at home. But over the ten years here the kids have grown and two have moved out and Joseph is ending his high school career soon. I have more "free" time. Without even realizing it I made friends.

While planning the move to Florida I forgot I was leaving Mobile.
I think I miss them too much.

Diane

No comments: