Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I've had an ah-ha moment

You know when you want to do something out of the norm and you aren't sure you can do it, so you play around with it in your head for a while? Well I did that for the past couple of days and finally decided I wouldn't get anything accomplished until I started cutting and sewing to see if my ideas worked.

I have been skimming old books looking at antique quilts looking for something that inspired me. I kept seeing diamonds. Pieced diamonds, strip diamonds, solid diamonds etc. I tried working with diamonds years ago and it was a disaster. not one of my points matched and all of my diamonds got stretched way out of shape and I had more ruffles than Lays potato chips. So instead of trying to beat a dead horse I threw them out and went on with my life, never looking back...until this week.

I have been playing with 60* diamond. Guess what, I did it! They are going together perfectly. No ripping. I am so pleased.  I think of of the issues I had in the past was I really didn't make an accurate 1/4" seam. That is very important. Now after years of sewing I pretty much get an accurate seam each time. There are many ways to get a perfect seam and I will be sharing some ways soon.

Maybe I will post some pictures to show what I did and how it turned out.

Ok, off to take some pictures...

***I have no idea what I did to the "Ok" above so I can't fix it.****

1 comment:

Linda said...

Great!!Can't wait to see the pictures. I made a "Seven Sisters" block the way Marti Michel does and it was way easy. Glad you've got it down.