Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Retreat weekend

This weekend was retreat time for my guild. We have 2 retreats a year one in the late summer and one in January. I really like going to retreat with these ladies. We have over 200 members in the guild so we have such a diversity. We have those that are very traditionalist and love traditional patterns and quilt designs and fabric almost exclusively. We have those who are definitely of the art quilt crowd with using hand dyed fabrics and fibers and unique embellishments applied. Then you have those that fall in between who enjoy a bit of both.
Just like the differences in quilt preferences you have differences in personalities. Some are very quiet and then there is the group I fall into which is the not very quiet group. I have tried in the past to be quieter but I feel like someone in a straight jacket, like I am being choked or something. Apparently I am very loud because even when I think I am speaking only in a normal conversational voice I am heard all over the building. I am thinking of carrying ear plugs for my friends. LOL
Anyway, I wanted to share some pictures of some of the stuff worked on at the retreat this weekend.
This is one Nina worked on and I just love. The picture is a bit fuzzy, so it doesn't do it justice. the top has 168 different fabrics that she collected for over a year.

This is a collaboration of several ladies. they are making a civil war swap. Each lady makes 13 blocks exactly alike and then they swap them with the others in the group. I LOVE this block! I had such fun watching as Susan A., Carol B, Kathleen P. and Linda G show off their sewing skills and some ripping skills. How many times did that corner give you fits Susan? :^)


Since I didn't pay to attend the retreat due to family responsibilities I visited everyone but didn't think it right to take my sewing machine and all my stuff. i took some fabric and cut it out and this is what I made from it.


This is another top that Nina started. Great huh?

No comments: