Monday, February 18, 2008

Sure, no problem, I can handle it...

I have a silly little habit of always saying "sure" when I am asked if I could help. I also have a bad habit of not thinking of the consequences of my "sure" reply. This recent "sure" came about when I was at work at the local quilt shop and the teacher of a beginning machine piecing class only had 3 people sign up and she required 5 to make it feasible to drive the distance she has to drive to get to the shop. The shop owner and I were talking about how bad we felt for the ladies who signed up and were so excited about the class. I said I would be happy to teach the class. Then I found out the class was THE NEXT DAY! WHAT? Oh well, I can do it, not a problem. Then I ask the question I should have asked first, how many classes are involved, FIVE??? Five SATURDAYS!!! Oh my, the one day of the week I never work at the shop as it is the only time my family has to "play" together. Ok, no problem I will do this and it will be fine.
I start looking at sample for the class trying to decide what I am going to do, as I feel totally wrong using the teacher’s instructions. I go home and get to work on EQ6 and plan out a sampler quilt that would start easy and build skills.
The first class was a very long 6 hours long. I was exhausted. One of the students works very slow and methodical. I didn't want her to go home before she got one block completed so she could do the homework that I required. To make a long story longer this Saturday's class wasn't much shorter. The good thing is I have shortened the class from a 5 to 6 week class to a 4 week class with a possibility of a later get together for quilting and binding. YEAH!
All the while I have been having fun fun fun with my laptop. The other day I discovered that I was not able to reply to emails, and then I couldn't send even new emails. Now so many things on the computer is not working that even my guru tells me I need a new...SHHHH!!, don't say that, it will hear you!!! He has fixed, reloaded, wiped out, reloaded, cursed, deleted and reinstalled until he said there is no fixing it this time, it is tired. Well it has been to college, been through three teenagers and various term papers. It has been dropped too many times to count, fried by a lightening surge, been on 8 years of vacations, 5 years of quilt shows and has had more crumbs blown out of it than I should admit to. So today I am going to shop today and see if I can find a "friend" for my laptop, you know to help it and take some of the load off of it. No replacing here! No way, my computer is too valuable.
Now I am going to go take my Brother to the clinic to be checked out. It has developed a squeak and I know that can't be good. I am from a family of all sisters so when my sweet husband gave me my Brother for Christmas last year I knew I had to take care of it. I have always wanted a brother. No problem! I have one now!
Off to Pensacola!
Diane

No comments: