Monday, November 10, 2008

Getting cozy...and busy

In my new sewing room I have set myself up a pretty comfy cutting area. It is right next to a window so I get great light most of the day. I set my old step up stool for when I am cutting for extended length of time, and it works great. I have my radio setting behind me so I can listen to my music or books and don't have to be scared of cutting my iPod earphone cord.
Can you see I have been busy cutting? That is 1.5" and 2" strips of all my Civil War reproductions. I haven't even made a dent in them since at the last count I had over 300 different fat quarters and I have added to that since then. I did finally convince myself to finish using the last bit of my oldest CW fabrics. I remember about 13 years ago my husband bought be a stack of FQs from Benartex for my birthday. I have used those FQs very lovingly and selfishly. I am now down to the last inch or two of most of them and a bit sad to see them done, but surprised at how much use you can get out of a small cut of fabric.

Last year at International Quilt Festival in Houston I had my booth on one row and on the row behind me was John Flynn and his family. For four days I could hear them over there showing their quilt frame and patterns and kits. For days I would take the long way to the restroom so I could look at their booth and all their beautiful quilts. Finally I could stand it no more! On Saturday evening, when I was suppose to be running to the ladies room I ran over to their booth, handed Brooke my credit card and told her to bag me up a kit and a template set, and when I came back I would sign the cc slip and pick it up.
This is the project I started this afternoon. I LOVE it! Besides it being CW fabrics and a Feathered Star pattern which I have wanted to make for a long time, it is also LASER CUT! It is so easy to put together. Just what I need, easy. Thanks Flynn family!

Aren't these going to be so cute?
Later
Diane



No comments: