Monday, March 18, 2013

Pineapple block discovery and birthday celebration

I did some sewing, of course. What is a birthday weekend without sewing? Nothing!
I did some planning. I want to do a 50 year or Silver Jubilee quilt for myself. I have no idea if I will get it done, but I want to. More on that as it blossoms. I know I should have had it all ready to start by now, but you know me and dates and time. Never prepared!

You know how I talked about how long it took to make one pineapple block? Well I haven't timed it again to know for sure if it is any faster, but I think it is. I sorted all of the scraps I had out for the blocks. I sorted them by size and colors. I measured each section so I knew which stack to look through. Then I started piecing 10 blocks at a time, just working on the same size strips at a time. The first round was the 1 1/2" strips. I would lay them all out by colors and piece all 10 blocks light and dark rounds. Then I would move to the 2" strips light and dark, then 2 1/2", 3", etc to the end. It might just be that it feels more organized, but I really think it is faster because I'm not constantly looking for a piece that will fit. I'm sure everyone I know would have done this from the start but I am a slow learner. I always have to learn the slow, hard way.

3 inch strips laid out ready to use

2.5" and 3.5" waiting to the side to be needed
 I celebrated all weekend. We went to Yoder's a fantastic Amish restaurant in Sarasota for early dinner on Friday. You have to go early if you plan on being able to sleep as the portions are HUGE. I brought home more than 1/2 of my meal.
Saturday we didn't do a lot but that is what I like. I like staying home and piddling. Sunday I was going to go to Lakeland to the Sewing Expo. I misread the flyer. It ended Saturday afternoon. :(
Oh well, that makes me sad. SHOOT!
Last night Ray and I had dinner with Kari and Scott. It was fabulous! Stonewood Grill, YUM! I got flowers and presents from Kari. Too sweet! She bought me the only perfume that I have ever loved. Happy by Clinique. I am not a fancy, dress up, perfume, jewelry kind of person. But I do like Happy.

I plan on a quiet day today. I have dinner planned. It will take 15 minutes to cook. I will do the few light chores I have on my list and head to the sewing room and dare the phone to ring, unless it's Linda.

Later,
Diane




No comments: