Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sorting and organizing helps


Do you have one of these wonderful little lights? I got mine about 15 years ago and have used it almost constantly. I don't think I have even changed the buld, but if I have it has only been once. I have a floor model of the same color and I have changed the bulb in it.
After a while the light that flips up can get a little loose and not want to stand up. For the longest I didn't know if anything could be done so I would just readjust and go on with my work. Today while trying to clean and organize my work space I had a light bulb moment. Kinda cool since I was looking at a light. Get it? Light bulb moment? Light? Oh never mind I guess you had to be there.
Anyway I noticed the slits and thought, hmmm I think a nickel will fit in there. Sure enough it did and my light now stands at attention! Woo hoo! Happy me!

                                                                                  ***

I realized last night I was spending way too much time digging for the right size pieces. I decided it might make my life easier if I organized myself instead of constantly shuffling through the huge pile of scraps.
messy & oh that nasty ironing board

What a dump! Said with Betty Davis voice.
So I set to work! I don't think there is a thing that will keep the floor from getting so messy but I can organize my pieces by size and I won't have to tunnel through each time I need a piece.



First I measured and marked the sizes needed

Measured and marked
Laid out the sizes
Of course that is just the border tray, but I did the same with the pineapple tray and papers. The goal is to shave a bit of time off of the making of each block. An hour is a long time so every few seconds I shave off by not having to sort and dig will help.

These blocks have been a great stress reliever. Moma hurt her shoulder the other day helping Daddy sit up. So after an ER visit, an MRI and shots, she can't go see Daddy at all for a while. It's just too tempting for her to reach out and try to stop him from falling and then she would be really hurt. So sadly Daddy is at the nursing home alone and Mom is at home, and I am here too far away to help. My sisters do all they can, but they have jobs and children at home. Life gets hard.

Back to the sewing room.

Diane

No comments: